Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Design 4 Media: Studio Project (Step 1)

For this semester's project I decided that I would like to try my hand at something I've been meaning to learn for awhile now: Creating an animation using Adobe Flash. I often like to stick to my own characters when creating things, because I want to eventually do something with them and I think using them for several projects is a good way to get things started. I'm not sure yet whether I want to do something like a comic book or an actual animation with them in the future, perhaps both. For this project, I'm going to use my character Em. Here are some past drawings that I did of him/her (not really gender specific).



I've also put together a few images of characters/styles that inspire me. These include Emily the Strange, work by Jhonen Vasquez, Tim Burton's illustrated work, and Edward Gorey.


Lastly, I've included a short flash animation that I really like the style of, which can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3_dteOS40Y




















2 comments:

Jennifer Clement said...

Interesting style. Tip for you if your going to do a flash animation, story board it out first and see how many shots are going to be frontal vs a side. Then that way if you animate in flash you can take your character, cut them up like in photoshop. So you have an arm, a head etc. then put it back together in flash each part on its own separate layer but then you can parent the layers together. so that way when you want to move the whole character you can with out if falling apart but you can also move the individual pieces. It will save from having to draw every frame.

Charlotte said...

I can definitely see a style! Don't worry about the "how" right now (Flash). You might find later that you need to use more than one linear editor to get the look you want (sometimes vector programs like Flash neutralize the wonderful hand-drawn line). Draw you character over and over. Don't worry about the story--just draw... draw like crazy!