Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Design 4 Media: Studio Project (Step 2)

For this next step I began to take various sketches of Em into Photoshop and applied some color and patterns to figure out what design I will ultimately use. One thing that I found myself using as a constant was the colors black, white, and pink. I added the touches of pink to help soften the demeanor of Em, so the audience doesn't feel that she is supposed to be frightening (just misunderstood). Out of these I felt that the first one was most effective, and the second one was the worst (which was interesting because that was my original design of how Em looked. Not sure if it's the sketch or just the choices). I used texture/pattern overlays such as damask, lace, and plaid.






2 comments:

Charlotte said...

Great exploration! Yes, I agree, the first (with the pink silhouette) is the best. I REALLY like that you allowed the pink to stop before it reached her outline. This will really add to her movement (it can slightly "lag" as she moves). Agreed, the original drawing is not really working (creepy factor--I think it's the eyes).
Textures are a great start... try this next: change the scale (really big/really small). Keep refining your character... draw, draw, draw...

Anonymous said...

The aspect of your drawings that I find most enamoring is the conjunction of all these textures. The last drawing works so well, with the graphite and the pattern on her hoody. I can't remember if you decided against Flash or not, but you had best keep your options open. I would suggest Traditional 2D, like Harmony, but that may inspire you to tear apart your scalp.

Anywho, I think you are making great progress. You seem to be really interested in what you are doing, and that gives me a good tingly feeling.