Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Design 4 MediaP Studio Project (Step4b)

When you suggested After Effects I thought that that may be a better idea, considering it was a program that I had some experience in (not a lot, but enough to at least know how to record an animation). So I attempted another 'test' walk in After Effects using Em. I didn't include the background or the pattern overlay on her for now, just to keep things simple. I read the tutorial on the puppet tool and gave it a shot.

Lo and behold, Em can walk. No, it is definitely not perfect, but it is definitely a huge improvement on the last sad animation that I did in flash. This one little step, however, still took me about two hours more than it should have. It was still an accomplishment to me.

I told myself I'd start out with something "easy" like a few "simple" steps. I should have realized from past experience that animating a character walking can actually be a rather difficult thing to attempt. In retrospect it would have been much easier to start with Em bending over to pick up the bunny doll or something like that.

*EDIT*

Okay, so I went to check on the new entry I posted and realized that the video plays very small and very quickly on Blogger. Sorry about this...it played much slower on my comp! My apologies for the crappy quality.

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! I knew you could do it! Don't worry about the small image, it communicated just fine.
The goal of the class is consistent, weekly progress--the final product is just the cherry on the Sundae. I am more interested in seeing you achieve technical craft and artistic goals (than slamming together a final project). You did GREAT!
See if you can cycle the walk... or, try another puppet (like a close-up with an animated face)... anything you want.
Keep going! The sample looks fabulous!